Personal Injury Questions

Personal Injury Questions – Tallahassee Personal Injury Lawyer

Frequently Asked Questions in Personal Injury Matters

The Moye law Firm represents injured clients in Tallahassee and throughout Florida in a wide variety of injury and accident cases.  In our 60 years of experience in practicing law, we have found that many clients who have been injured through the acts of another person frequently ask the following questions:

Q.  What should I do if I’ve been injured?

A. If you have been injured, you should:

  • Obtain immediate and follow up medical care for anyone who suffered an injury.
  • Obtain as much information as you can about each party who caused the injury including any potential witnesses.  This includes their names, addresses, phone numbers, driver’s license numbers, and insurance information if available.
  • If the injury involved an automobile, report the accident to your insurance company and obtain a property damage claim number to address the damage to your vehicle and a personal injury protection (PIP) claim number to cover your medical treatment.  If the injury occurred in a store or only some other public property, report the injury and file a claim documenting your injury.
  • Take photographs of the accident scene, and
  • Contact an attorney who has experience handling personal injury cases.

Q.  When should I call a lawyer?

A. The sooner you contact an experienced personal injury attorney the better.  Although Florida allows you four years to file a lawsuit based on a negligent or wrongful act, it is important to have an attorney begin investigating your case as soon as possible while evidence is still available and the memories of any eyewitnesses are still fresh.

Q.  How much is my case worth?

A. Every accident and injury case is different.  The value of any given case depends upon three basic factors:

  • responsibility for having caused the accident,
  • the nature and extent of the injuries sustained, and
  • the money available to compensate the injured person.

Q.  How do I pay my medical bills?

A.    If you have health insurance, it should cover some of your medical expenses.  If you are a driver insured in Florida, your own automobile insurance likely has personal injury protection (PIP) coverage which will pay the first $10,000 of your medical expenses.  Additionally, the person at fault for your accident is responsible for the reasonable damages you suffered, including medical bills.  Ultimately, however, you are responsible for all of your medical expenses, even if you were not at fault in the accident.

Q.  What should I bring to the initial consultation?

A.  It is helpful if you bring as much information about the accident as possible.  This includes:

  • any police or accident reports that were filed,
  • your medical records,
  • all photographs of the accident scene and damaged,
  • the names and contact information of any witnesses or other parties involved in the accident,
  • any other documentation related to the accident,
  • all of your vehicle policies, and
  • all correspondence and documents received from any insurance company.


Q.  How long do I have to file a lawsuit for my injuries?

A.  You have four years from the date the incident occurred which caused your injury to file suit for the injuries.

Q.  If I retain an attorney will a lawsuit immediately be filed?

A.  No.  If you have been wrongfully injured through the fault of another, you need to discuss your injuries with an injury attorney.  Normally, the attorney seeks to negotiate a settlement consistent with the injuries sustained and the money available for compensation.  In the event, that a fair and just settlement cannot be reached, a lawsuit may be filed.

Q.  Why do I need an attorney?

A.  It is important to remember that insurance companies usually are seeking to settle your case as quickly and cheaply as possible while it is generally in the interests of the injured person to postpone settlement until you have reached maximum medical improvement and are adequately able to determine the full extent of the injuries you sustained.  The insurance company has experience on its side, shouldn’t you?

To discuss your grounds for legal action with a Tallahassee personal injury lawyer, contact us today 850 224-6693 (224-MOYE)